It may be difficult to determine whether or not your home has a basement leak, as often times water seepage or leaks can take months or even years to reveal themselves.
However, eventually there will be definitive warning signs that your basement is suffering from water damage and in need of basement waterproofing services. Here are a few common signs to look for:
- Peeling Paint. If you notice that the paint on your walls is bubbling up or peeling, then there is water seeping through your foundation.
- Cracked Walls. This is a clear sign that there is something wrong with your foundation. Cracks can either be vertical, horizontal, diagonal or stair-stepped, depending on how the pressure is applied to the walls of your home.
- Buckling Walls. Buckling in cement or ciderblock walls is a sign that your home is suffering from hydrostatic pressure. This is when the pressure outside of your home is great than inside, which causes the walls to bow inwards.
- Mold on Walls. Mold will grow anywhere there is moisture and darkness, which is why basement leaks is a great place for mold colonies to thrive. Check to see if your walls are damp and for visible signs of mold.
- Efflorescence. Perhaps you’ve seen this elsewhere in other buildings, but be sure to keep a close eye out for a white, powdery substance on your walls. This is a result of basement leaks and further weakens the building material.
If you have any of these signs of basement leaks, it’s important to contact a professional basement waterproofing and mold remediation company. At Bay State Mold Removal, we will assess the basement for any mold problems first, then will perform the basement waterproofing process. Contact us today for a free estimate!