Mold is a multicellular organism that thrives in humid environments. Airborne molds are usually mold spores released in the air after reproduction. Mold is hardly detectable by sight because they are too small to be seen with naked eyes. Their sizes make them unnoticeable and hard to avoid.

After reproduction, the spores are released into the air and can end anywhere, even inside our houses. This poses concerns as to health risks. How dangerous are airborne molds?

How dangerous are airborne molds?

The presence of airborne molds in the house is not a threat to the health of the inhabitant’s lives. Airborne molds are a common allergen. Their presence in the air may be a cause of allergic symptoms. People who are allergic to certain types of molds may exhibit allergic symptoms like 

  • Sneezing
  • Coughing
  • Irritations
  • Running nose
  • Upper respiratory 

Also, excess exposure to molds may cause an increase in the severity of asthma symptoms, lung infections, and respiratory problems. But again, this can only occur when someone has been excessively exposed to molds.

Black molds

There are concerns about a type of mold called “Toxic Mold.” They are also referred to as ‘Black Mold“. They are generally believed to be dangerous to human health. However, there is no scientific data on which to conclude that black molds cause any illness. 

The belief that they are dangerous to human health is just as misleading as the name they bear. There is nothing toxic about black moles. Aside from this particular species, other species are black. 

How can I protect myself from airborne molds?

Perhaps, the essential thing about molds is that they thrive in a humid or moist place. As long as you have moisture in your house or your environment, molds will always grow.

However, a person who is deeply concerned about protecting himself or herself from airborne molds may observe the following steps;

  • Items with holes and pores like ceiling tiles, books, clothing, and paper materials that soak up water must be kept dry.
  • Keep surfaces dry. Wash and dry off with a towel, exteriors known to be regularly moist. Places like this may include corners of the sink, bathtub, and bases of taps, fountains, and other areas with a steady water supply.
  • Find and repair leaking pipes and other sources of excess moisture.
  • Keep windows open for ventilation to reduced humidity.
  • Do not paint wet surfaces—clean and dry surfaces before painting. 
  • Keep the bins and other places where the water may be stagnant in locations far from living areas.


Airborne molds are not dangerous to human health. But they may trigger allergies in people. One must experience excessive exposure to airborne molds before claiming it affects a person’s health. Persons with severe irritations and acute respiratory problems are advised to see a physician once symptoms persist beyond three days. 

Leave a reply

Call Now: 857-389-5284!