There are dozens of ways to remove household mold that’s found in small quantities. With some elbow grease, patience, and chemical cleaners you can get rid of most small mold patches. One of the most common chemicals homeowners use is bleach.
Bleach is a strong chemical that has the ability to kill most species of mold. However it’s important to note that using bleach can be harmful to you if used improperly.
When to use bleach to kill mold
If you find mold on porous surfaces such as drywall and wood, bleach should not be used as it can ruin the material. Mold found on tile, countertops, glass and bathtubs can be treated with bleach. Only use bleach in an area that can be well ventilated; be sure to open windows or turn on a fan in order to reduce the harsh fumes bleach emits.
How to Use Bleach
Start by purchasing a two gallon bucket in which to mix your bleach solution. Next, pour one cup of bleach for every gallon of warm water used then mix to incorporate. We recommend wearing rubber cleaning gloves to prevent any skin damage. You can either apply the bleach solution using a sponge or using a spray bottle. Pro Tip: Don’t rinse off the bleached area as doing so may permit the mold to regrow.
When to call a remediation specialist
If you have household mold that continues to come back every time you’ve bleached the area, then there could be an underlying mold problem. Mold issues that are larger than a 3 feet in diameter should also be tested and removed by a remediation specialist. Sometimes there can be mold hidden behind drywall and other surfaces and further remediation efforts may be needed. Contact our mold removal specialists today for a free estimate!