Mold is a type of fungus that can live just about anywhere, even in some extreme heat and cold. One of it’s favorite places to thrive is in your home, which can make some people more susceptible to allergic reactions to the fungus.
A majority of Americans have developed some sort of allergy during their life, and many times it’s because of mold and the spores it releases. Here are a few ways to avoid moldy areas in your home until you can hire a professional mold removal company to remediate the problem.
Moldy Areas to Avoid Outside the Home
- Cut grass, especially cut grass that has been on the lawn for a couple days.
- Compost piles — these piles or bins are made to decompose organic matter, and mold plays a huge role in this process.
- Wooded areas or wood piles, as mold thrives on wood because of it’s ability to retain moisture.
Moldy Areas to Avoid Inside the Home
- Bathrooms that aren’t well ventilated. Bathrooms are areas of extreme moisture within the home, so it’s best to turn on a fan either during or after your shower.
- Basements or crawl spaces that are damp or have sprung a leak. Be sure to purchase a dehumidifier if you’ve discovered standing water in your basement, then call a mold removal company to fix the leak and clean the space.
- Cooking areas that aren’t cleaned properly. Mold thrives in warm environments that offer it plenty of food. Always clean up your cooking area with soap and water.
If your allergies persist after avoiding these areas and attempting to clean up the mold problem, you could have a larger household mold issue which requires a remediation company. Generally, areas larger than one foot in diameter should be analyzed by a professional. Contact Bay State Mold Removal today for an estimate!